cc-licenses - Re: DFSG (was Re: The Beeb and CC)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Francis <lists AT hippygeek.co.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: DFSG (was Re: The Beeb and CC)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:31:31 +0100

Mike Linksvayer wrote:

Most of the CC licenses are very obviously not DFSG-free. AFAIK nobody ever explicitly thought "let's create non-DFSG-free licenses!", rather it was a consequence of intending to explore/exploit many points in the copyright spectrum outside of "all rights reserved".

It would be very nice if by and by-sa were certified as free, open, or whatever by Debian, OSI, and the FSF. There certainly isn't any objection from CC to by and by-sa being so certified. That said, we haven't made any postivie effort in that direction.

Perhaps something to think about for CC 3.0 then? I think it's a great idea. The Debian Legal people and Creative Commons may be doing different things, but it appears that they're very much on the same side as it were. Where there are common goals ideas can be pooled and if that means making CC DFSG-free then that's great.

tola ^/.

--
Ben "tola" Francis http://hippygeek.co.uk
COMPUTER SUPPORT for small businesses and home users