cc-licenses - Re: The Beeb and CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Beeb and CC
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Myers said:
> What does "tentacles of evil" actually mean? It sounds
> interesting but I can't make out what the FAQ entry is
> trying to say or how it really applies to the CC license.

I think it refers to any license restriction that allows
the original author to affect downstream authors after
they've gone and created a derived work and released it.

Alice creates a work and licenses it CC-BY.
Bob takes Alice's work and invests a lot of time and
energy into creating derived works.
A year later, Alice uses a "tentacle of evil" to force
Bob to perform extra work if Bob wants to continue using
her work within the requirements of her license,
like removing any reference to her name in all of
Bob's derived works.

--
"Impatient Perl" => Perl geek in about a week.
http://www.greglondon.com/iperl/index.html