cc-licenses - Re: The Beeb and CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Francis <lists AT hippygeek.co.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Beeb and CC
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:46:36 +0100

Evan Prodromou wrote

I'll jump in on the
Debian side and try to get this straight, though.

That would be great! I would be very interested what the official position is. My view of Creative Commons was slightly tainted when I read that email and a couple of blog entries on the topic by a friend.

If CC are making a concious decision NOT to make the licenses DFSG-free and have a good reason for doing so, I'd like to hear their reason and would respect their decision. But if there's no good reason why they couldn't be DFSG-free and they simply don't know about it yet I think it would be worth while altering them to meet the guidelines. Perhaps you're right and some of the licenses already are DFSG-free. Please do report back your findings! I'm afraid I'm a little out of my depth for any more constructive discussion on the topic, I shy away from the complicated legal details!

If you're interested in the blog entries I'm talking about:

A problem with the CC2.0 licenses at the end of 4a (Restrictions):
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-5.html#cc2nonfree AT 2004-5.mjr.dsl.pipex.com
An example of why this is a problem:
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-5.html#cc20-example AT 2004-5.mjr.dsl.pipex.com

Best Regards

tola ^/.

Ben "tola" Francis http://hippygeek.co.uk
COMPUTER SUPPORT for small businesses and home users
http://tolatech.co.uk