cc-licenses - DFSG (was Re: The Beeb and CC)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: DFSG (was Re: The Beeb and CC)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:53:49 -0700

Ben Francis wrote:
Evan Prodromou wrote
I'll jump in on the
Debian side and try to get this straight, though.

That would be great! I would be very interested what the official position is.

Thanks to Evan for following up on debian-legal, though the responses don't shed much light. Same for his post and followups on OSI's licenses-discuss.

If CC are making a concious decision NOT to make the licenses DFSG-free and have a good reason for doing so, I'd like to hear their reason and would respect their decision. But if there's no good reason why they couldn't be DFSG-free and they simply don't know about it yet I think it would be worth while altering them to meet the guidelines. Perhaps you're right and some of the licenses already are DFSG-free. Please do report back your findings! I'm afraid I'm a little out of my depth for any more constructive discussion on the topic, I shy away from the complicated legal details!

Most of the CC licenses are very obviously not DFSG-free. AFAIK nobody ever explicitly thought "let's create non-DFSG-free licenses!", rather it was a consequence of intending to explore/exploit many points in the copyright spectrum outside of "all rights reserved".

It would be very nice if by and by-sa were certified as free, open, or whatever by Debian, OSI, and the FSF. There certainly isn't any objection from CC to by and by-sa being so certified. That said, we haven't made any postivie effort in that direction.

--
Mike Linksvayer