cc-licenses - Re: The Beeb and CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Beeb and CC
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:56:39 -0400

>> What does "tentacles of evil" actually mean? It sounds
>> interesting but I can't make out what the FAQ entry is trying
>> to say or how it really applies to the CC license.

GL> I think it refers to any license restriction that allows the
GL> original author to affect downstream authors after they've
GL> gone and created a derived work and released it.

It's one of the several tests used for free licenses. The idea is that
if the copyright holder were to be bought out or subverted by some
evil organization, would they be able to revoke the rights of existing
license holders.

Frankly, I thought the analysis done on debian-legal was terribly
amateurish.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>