cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] GCOS - how to?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Stas Sușcov <stas AT nerd.ro>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: Nivanka Fonseka <fonsekaean AT gmail.com>, cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] GCOS - how to?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:54:26 +0300

În data de Lu, 29-03-2010 la 11:09 -0700, Nathan Yergler a scris:
> Hi Nivanka,
>
> I'm very happy to hear that you're interested in the CC GSoC projects.
> Robert gave some excellent advice in his email about logistics and
> previous projects. I'll just comment on these projects and you can
> let us know if you have additional questions.
>
> Both of those would be great projects for someone to work on. As you
> probably saw from the wiki page, we had a Summer of Code student last
> year do an initial implementation of the RDFa Plugin for WordPress.
> The primary opportunity there is polishing the code and making it work
> with the visual editor (right now I believe it's limited to the HTML
> editor). There's been other interest in making WordPress work better
> with RDFa (from outside CC, see
> http://danbri.org/words/2009/12/23/507), so improving that could be
> really useful.
>
> The media manager project also has lots of potential. There are two
> different things I'd like to see implemented. First, I'd like to see
> fields for the license and attribution information in the media
> manager generally. When filled in, the media manager should insert
> HTML that includes attribution and license information.
>
> An additional step that I think would be interesting is extending it
> to support RDFa and/or OEmbed. That is, given the URL of a page
> (instead of an image), pull the page and look for RDFa there for
> title, license, description, etc. OEmbed might not be required, but
> could be used to get the actual object, if not specified by the RDFa.
> The CC specific bit of that is support for the license. The inserted
> HTML would also include the license/attribution information, as well
> as the appropriate scope metadata (indicating the source URL initially
> provided). We (CC) can provide examples of how this metadata should
> be constructed.
>
> Think about these possible projects and let me know if you have any
> questions. I'll add some of these details to the wiki pages as well.
>
> Thanks again for your interest, and sorry for the delayed reply.
>
> Nathan

Hi Nathan,
about the media manager plugin (I sent an email some time ago).
I'm familiar with current WordPress features and I know they already
got OEmbed implemented [1]. It's just not media manger where it is used,
it's the editor. I was describing my proposal for media manager that
will include options for chosing a licence and OEmbed can be integrated
into that.

Though you also mentioned adding the licence text into the article, I
don't think we should consider adding raw HTML. WordPress
has shortcodes support and I opt for using them. It will also
be easier to handle data when updating it.

Also, another small feature I would like to add is option to first
update (fetch the available licenses on a certain country and update
their description/title accordingly to blog locale) and choose what
licenses will be used on blog (I don't think an end-user uses all
the available cc licenses) so this will be a good usability improvement.

I would be happy to hear your opinion about the small changes I got
about this idea.

[1]: http://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds

--
() Campania Panglicii în ASCII