cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] GCOS - how to?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Robert Gust‐Bardon <ea4xgr AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] GCOS - how to?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:37:41 +0200

Nivanka Fonseka wrote:
> I am writing this email in-order to show my interests, and to seek guidance
> on how to send my application + proposal.
> If you can reply me in advance it would be great.

Dear Nivanka,

Before reading the rest of my reply, please bear in mind that I am not a
not a representative of Creative Commons. I managed to complete a
project for this organization two years ago as a participant of the
Google Summer of Code program.

I would love to share my experiences with you and all the other students
interested in participating in Google Summer of Code, especially when it
comes to Creative Commons. It is superb that you consider participating
in the program in question.

What follows are general observations that I believe apply to a majority
of the GSoC projects at CC:
- you need to register at the GSoC Web site; do not count on the
extension of the application deadline as that did not happen last year;
- should you be accepted, you will be expected to commit early and to
commit often; this can be done via Git or Subversion [1];
- you ought to get in touch with Creative Commons before sending your
proposal; you have reached the mailing list already; you are more than
welcomed to join the channel #cc at the IRC server irc.freenode.net [2];
- should you be accepted, you will be expected to write and blog about
the software you develop (for the GSoC project); there are two ways to
do it: the wiki (you have found it already) and the Labs blog [3];
- do not forget to check out the student application template [4], which
will help you to include important information (from the Creative
Commons' point of view) in your proposal;
- the staff is in San Francisco, therefore please be aware of the
difference in the time zone between your location and theirs [5];
- the goal of the Google Summer of Code program is to encourage new
developers to participate in the free software projects in the long
term; there is no reason whatsoever for you not to start the development
of the WordPress projects before the day the successful applications are
accepted; regardless of the outcome, this is a win-win situation;
- have a look at the projects and the source code developed in previous
years (you can read about them at the Labs, too):
http://code.google.com/soc/2006/cc/about.html
http://code.google.com/soc/2007/cc/about.html
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2007-cc/downloads/list
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/cc/about.html
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2008-cc/downloads/list
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/cc/t124022127580
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/cc/t124022127715

If you stumble upon me on the IRC (my nickname is ea4xgr there), then we
could chat (be it using the IRC or an instant messenger) about the GSoC
program at Creative Commons from the perspective of a student. I would
also show you the application I submitted two years ago.

[1] http://code.creativecommons.org/
[2] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/IRC
[3] http://labs.creativecommons.org/
[4] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Summer_of_Code_Application_Template
[5] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Boa sorte!

Regards,

--
Robert Gust‐Bardon

http://robert.gust-bardon.org/

Please, DO NOT reply to the e‐mail address that I have sent this message
from. Instead, visit my Web site and use the e‐mail address found there.