cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Extend CC OOo Addin to Support Draw or Flickr (or Picasa) Image Re-Use for OpenOffice.org

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Daniel Arcoverde" <dfarcoverde AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Extend CC OOo Addin to Support Draw or Flickr (or Picasa) Image Re-Use for OpenOffice.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:29:19 -0300

Nathan and others,

    Yesterday, I sent my draft proposal. Please, I ask for suggestions and questions from you before I submit it.

Thanks
On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Daniel Arcoverde <dfarcoverde AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

Here goes my draft proposal. I just ask for suggestions and questions from you. Some sections can be modified before I submit it.

Thanks,
------------------

An application for Google Summer of Code 2008, Creative Commons project

Flickr Image Re-Use for OpenOffice.org

Proponent: Daniel de França Arcoverde <dfarcoverde at gmail.com>

Synopsis
---------------
Integration are becoming more important in the web 2.0 context (see www.programmableweb.com). In the Open Source world, integrate and make use of functionality already implemented by others is more interesting than creating from scratch.
My challenge is create a plug-in for OpenOffice.org that enables users to pull images directly from the Flickr in their documents. These images were under a Creative Commons license
The plug-in will incorporating Flickr's Creative Commons search into the OpenOffice.org Writer and automatically adding attribution. Allow the reuse of those images is the main goal of this project.

Benefits
-------------

The implementation of such add-in will increment the use of images used in documents under the CC license. Having this functionality will contribute to spread CC licenses much more broadly.

Project Details
-----------------------

Several users of Flickr offer the images of them under a Creative Commons license. I'll create a OpenOffice.org add-in to allow Flickr image re-use for that users to pull images directly from the Flickr Creative Commons licensed pool in their documents.
This will be done from the Flickr API that support retrieval of CC licensed photos through the search API. To me, it's interesting work with projects involving web technologies (web 2.0).

Development will consist of 3 main parts, that are the project contributions.

1. Flickr API access
For this first part, I will use Flickr API to access the services of Flickr. This is the first step to allow the use of the images.
I am going to use the REST interface as to request as to answer.

2. Storing image license information
I will take a few days to better understand the OpenOffice format. For this, the OASIS Open Office XML format specification will be studied.
Metadata file can be used to embed informations about the images license type.

3. Implementing and testing the features below:

    - To search photos by tags
    - Filter search results by license attributes
    - Insert the image into the document along with attribution information

Possible additional contributions (time permitting):

    - Put together with attribution information about the license, the source URLs so do history tracking to find out what pieces (images) were used to
create the final document. Then, the it will have more informations about the images and their sources;
    - A like "wizard" that help people in selecting appropriate license types before them add in your documents;
    - Any other suggested features offered by users and that fit this work.

I don't promise that additional contributions will be functional, but I hope so.

Deliverables
------------------

Here is a list of deliverables:

- Investigation: more detailed study about CC API, OOo and Plugins, and Flickr API
- Requirements document: the features to be implemented in a high-level abstraction level, classified by priority;
- Project plan: the plan of development, including a more detailed schedule and release plan;
- Release report: a document describing the currently status of the release;
- Progress report: a weekly project status;
- Fully functional OOo plugin;
- Update the OpenOffice wiki page [http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Flickr_Image_Re-Use_for_OpenOffice.org];
- Post to the Techblog [http://techblog.creativecommons.org];

All the releases schedule, including its features will be defined in the Project Plan which will be delivered at the beginning of SoC program.

Bio
------

I'm a MSc Candidate in Computer Science at Informatics Federal University of Pernambuco. The same university of Alan Kelon, Rilson Nascimento, Cássio Melo, Augusto Pedroza and Marcos Aurélio, selected students for some of the versions of the GSoC. I have a year of market experience in a junior enterprise (The second largest movement of young people in the world).
During this time I was Project Manager and CEO of CITi [http://www.citi.org.br], computing junior enterprise, gaining even more experience with projects of software. That contributed a greater learning about the issues that involve planning and managing projects.

I haven't previously contributed to open source projects, but I have great interest in to increase my knowledge of Open Source, in this case contributing to Creative Commons projects.
My research group at university includes Cássio Melo ("OpenOffice.org Writer add-in for publishing CC licensed documents").

To better understand the projects, I began to participate on the Creative Commons mailing lists. In the list, I talked about my interest projects and I also sent some suggestions of them (out of scope).

Additionally I have worked with Cássio in a Android project that will be submited soon. I know Java and just a bit of C++. I also got a course of _javascript_ but I used just a few. Moreover, I have also purchased some notion about XML from Android Project. So I have no difficulty in doing the work. For any questions that arise, I'll get support in Cássio, besides mailing lists.

Here is a list of the most relevant academic publications:

    - The Teaching of Human-Computer Interaction with emphasis on Skills Training Related to the Technological Innovation: Interaction Design (in portuguese)
        [www.cin.ufpe.br/~if681/%5BWEI_2007_05_10%5DAlexGomes.pdf]
    - Internal Management Tools (in portuguese) [http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~cam2/wordpress/wp-content/themes/default/publications.html]

Besides that, I also understand the importance of good coding and documentation for projects open source and I am engaged in it.

Because all of this, I believe that I'm a suitable person to carry out this project and I'll be able to complete the project successfully. Thanks for your consideration.

Main References Used

http://creativecommons.org/
http://www.flickr.com/services/api/
http://yergler.net/projects/cc-oasis/ccoasis.html