cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Penz <peter.penz AT gmx.at>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:38:37 -0700

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 12:22 -0700, Jason Kivlighn wrote:
> Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am Rafael Fernández, a Dolphin developer, and talking in its name. I
> > also CC'ed Peter Penz, who is the Dolphin maintainer.
> >
> > We didn't know liblicense since today somebody has told us at IRC.
> >
> > We really think liblicense is a _great_ work, and we are studying of
> > getting it into kdebase/kdelibs mainstream for KDE 4.1 probably.
> >
> > In theory with the current code is OK, but we need to discuss with our
> > artists if they agree of having those icons, or on the other hand they
> > prefer drawing others that are closer to Oxygen icon style. Probably
> > small details about the code could be considered to be changed a bit
> > before getting it mainstream.
> >
> Sounds good to me, as long as the icons follow the general look of the
> existing ones.

Agree. Its more about making a good interface to licensing :) And, tis
open source, right :)

> I'm free to discuss coding details of getting it mainstream.
> > I have seen that the code is CC-GPL-LGPL licensed. That's great, but I
> > have a question:
> >
> > I haven't see Jason Kivlighn's email anywhere on his code. For that
> > reason I'm writing here:
> >
> > @ Jason Kivlighn:
> >
> > Are you going to improve even more this software ?
> With the summer coming to a close, I'm not going to be making regular
> changes. Soon it's back to school, for me. Although at the moment, I'd
> need more feedback to determine what improvements are needed.

Of course, seems that public interest of this software is ramping up, so
it will keep improving through CC and public efforts...CC is committed
to getting it into OLPC and we are super eager to get it into KDE and
GNOME so it will keep getting love :)

> > If you plan to do
> > big advantages, as we could consider this a "fork" because what I
> > guess is that you will be still committing at creativecommons, I would
> > like to know if there is some possibility of knowing when are we able
> > to update our copy of your code (probably a bit modified).
> >
> > Since I do not want to move the code from creativecommons (if you
> > agree, we could do so) to KDE SVN, we should consider giving you a SVN
> > account over there if you plan to work on this thing (well, or
> > wherever you want).
> >
> > Please note that I'm not trying to move this code to KDE SVN. What we
> > would like to know if there is a way of keeping synced with the copy
> > at creativecommons SVN, or we just have to do periodic visits to see
> > if something has changed on your repository.
> >
> I think it would be a good idea to move it to KDE SVN, if that makes
> integration easier. At the moment, I'm the only CC developer doing the
> KDE work for liblicense, and I already have a KDE SVN account. Moving
> it to KDE wouldn't be any trouble (for me).

Yes, moving the GUI code to KDE sounds like a good idea...the liblicense
code would be good to stay where its at and have it as a dependency, but
the nice dolphin-friendly interface in KDE sounds like a good thing :)

Let's go for it! And, this is super super exciting and look forward to
more of this love...now, would be great to get the same uptake in
Gnome...any liblicense gnome lovers out there with commit access?

> > Really great work guys. liblicense is a really great work, thank you all.
> >
> Thanks you!
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

Cheers to Scott and Jason for rocking out this code...its good to see
uptake happening from the hard working summer!

Jon