cc-devel - [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Rafael Fernández López" <ereslibre AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Peter Penz <peter.penz AT gmx.at>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:25:50 +0200

Hi all,

I am Rafael Fernández, a Dolphin developer, and talking in its name. I
also CC'ed Peter Penz, who is the Dolphin maintainer.

We didn't know liblicense since today somebody has told us at IRC.

We really think liblicense is a _great_ work, and we are studying of
getting it into kdebase/kdelibs mainstream for KDE 4.1 probably.

In theory with the current code is OK, but we need to discuss with our
artists if they agree of having those icons, or on the other hand they
prefer drawing others that are closer to Oxygen icon style. Probably
small details about the code could be considered to be changed a bit
before getting it mainstream.

I have seen that the code is CC-GPL-LGPL licensed. That's great, but I
have a question:

I haven't see Jason Kivlighn's email anywhere on his code. For that
reason I'm writing here:

@ Jason Kivlighn:

Are you going to improve even more this software ? If you plan to do
big advantages, as we could consider this a "fork" because what I
guess is that you will be still committing at creativecommons, I would
like to know if there is some possibility of knowing when are we able
to update our copy of your code (probably a bit modified).

Since I do not want to move the code from creativecommons (if you
agree, we could do so) to KDE SVN, we should consider giving you a SVN
account over there if you plan to work on this thing (well, or
wherever you want).

Please note that I'm not trying to move this code to KDE SVN. What we
would like to know if there is a way of keeping synced with the copy
at creativecommons SVN, or we just have to do periodic visits to see
if something has changed on your repository.

Really great work guys. liblicense is a really great work, thank you all.

Bye and thank you,
Rafael Fernández López.