cc-devel - [cc-devel] [ cctools-Patches-1781994 ] liblicense.0.4 - gcc -ansi

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "SourceForge.net" <noreply AT sourceforge.net>
  • To: noreply AT sourceforge.net
  • Subject: [cc-devel] [ cctools-Patches-1781994 ] liblicense.0.4 - gcc -ansi
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:28:58 -0700

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by kidproto
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=559968&aid=1781994&group_id=80503

not just the latest update.
Category: liblicense
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This change set increases the portability of the C code - to compilers other
than GCC - by avoiding post-1989 features of the C language definition. Yes:
18 years later and they STILL haven't caught up.

I haven't committed this to my repo yet, I'd like to know what folks think.

Personally, I'd rather be coding in C++, where mixed declarations and
statements are OK. They make a lot of sense. Problem is that most compilers
except GCC are, well, behind the times.

The no-c++ comments thing is important programmer psychology. It provides
the reader with an almost subliminal clue that they are dealing with C, and
not anything else.