cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rafael Fernández López <ereslibre AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Penz <peter.penz AT gmx.at>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:22:52 -0700

Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Rafael Fernández, a Dolphin developer, and talking in its name. I
> also CC'ed Peter Penz, who is the Dolphin maintainer.
>
> We didn't know liblicense since today somebody has told us at IRC.
>
> We really think liblicense is a _great_ work, and we are studying of
> getting it into kdebase/kdelibs mainstream for KDE 4.1 probably.
>
> In theory with the current code is OK, but we need to discuss with our
> artists if they agree of having those icons, or on the other hand they
> prefer drawing others that are closer to Oxygen icon style. Probably
> small details about the code could be considered to be changed a bit
> before getting it mainstream.

Sounds good to me, as long as the icons follow the general look of the
existing ones.

I'm free to discuss coding details of getting it mainstream.
> I have seen that the code is CC-GPL-LGPL licensed. That's great, but I
> have a question:
>
> I haven't see Jason Kivlighn's email anywhere on his code. For that
> reason I'm writing here:
>
> @ Jason Kivlighn:
>
> Are you going to improve even more this software ?
With the summer coming to a close, I'm not going to be making regular
changes. Soon it's back to school, for me. Although at the moment, I'd
need more feedback to determine what improvements are needed.
> If you plan to do
> big advantages, as we could consider this a "fork" because what I
> guess is that you will be still committing at creativecommons, I would
> like to know if there is some possibility of knowing when are we able
> to update our copy of your code (probably a bit modified).
>
> Since I do not want to move the code from creativecommons (if you
> agree, we could do so) to KDE SVN, we should consider giving you a SVN
> account over there if you plan to work on this thing (well, or
> wherever you want).
>
> Please note that I'm not trying to move this code to KDE SVN. What we
> would like to know if there is a way of keeping synced with the copy
> at creativecommons SVN, or we just have to do periodic visits to see
> if something has changed on your repository.

I think it would be a good idea to move it to KDE SVN, if that makes
integration easier. At the moment, I'm the only CC developer doing the
KDE work for liblicense, and I already have a KDE SVN account. Moving
it to KDE wouldn't be any trouble (for me).
> Really great work guys. liblicense is a really great work, thank you all.

Thanks you!

Cheers,
Jason