cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Penz <peter.penz AT gmx.at>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense work for KDE
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:55:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Jason Kivlighn wrote:

Rafael Fernández López wrote:
Hi all,

I am Rafael Fernández, a Dolphin developer, and talking in its name. I
also CC'ed Peter Penz, who is the Dolphin maintainer.

We didn't know liblicense since today somebody has told us at IRC.

Awesome.

We really think liblicense is a _great_ work, and we are studying of
getting it into kdebase/kdelibs mainstream for KDE 4.1 probably.

Even more awesome. Scott and Jason have done great work.

In theory with the current code is OK, but we need to discuss with our
artists if they agree of having those icons, or on the other hand they
prefer drawing others that are closer to Oxygen icon style. Probably
small details about the code could be considered to be changed a bit
before getting it mainstream.

Sounds good to me, as long as the icons follow the general look of the
existing ones.

I'm free to discuss coding details of getting it mainstream.

Mainstream would rule.

We're talking about the KDE bindings, so having them live in KDE svn would make sense to me, too. I haven't touched them at all, and modifications to them wouldn't impact "upstream" liblicense which could continue to live in CC svn.

I have seen that the code is CC-GPL-LGPL licensed. That's great, but I
have a question:

I thought it was purely LGPL licensed.

With the summer coming to a close, I'm not going to be making regular
changes. Soon it's back to school, for me. Although at the moment, I'd
need more feedback to determine what improvements are needed.

As the CC staffer who's been voted "Most Likely to Take Over liblicense", I think letting KDE folks (Jason included) focus on the KDE stuff sounds great.

Please note that I'm not trying to move this code to KDE SVN. What we
would like to know if there is a way of keeping synced with the copy
at creativecommons SVN, or we just have to do periodic visits to see
if something has changed on your repository.

I think it would be a good idea to move it to KDE SVN, if that makes
integration easier. At the moment, I'm the only CC developer doing the
KDE work for liblicense, and I already have a KDE SVN account. Moving
it to KDE wouldn't be any trouble (for me).

If push comes to shove, I'll ask for a KDE svn account. I think it's best to make the KDE portion live where it can be best-improved.

Really great work guys. liblicense is a really great work, thank you all.

Thanks you!

Aww, hugs and chocolate all around!

-- Asheesh.

--
Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
-- Alfred E. Newman