cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Victor Stone <fourstones.net AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net, John-Paul Arp <jp AT ci-fi.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:03:58 -0700

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 11:12 -0700, Victor Stone wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> > The shopping cart metaphor has been discussed from the very beginnings
> > of ccMixter but never implemented. I encourage you to do so. :-) I
> > agree it would be a great feature.
>
> What's funny about that is I could have sworn *you* were one that
> killed that idea ;)

I remember being the one who brought up the idea, not killed it. Maybe
I said something else was higher priority, or I have bad memory, bad
enunciation ... count my failure modes. :)

> Basically the tricky thing about it is that to do it right

Yep.

> - the user would have to be logged in to download (which runs a little
> counter to the share philosophy of ccHost)
>
> - we'd have to actually track downloads, the only reliable way to do
> that is to serve files through a script as opposed to straight linking

Tracking downloads would be one way. Or users could just add tracks to
their sampling hotlist separate from downloading. Bundling the two
seems unnecessarily limiting.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer