cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Victor Stone" <fourstones.net AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net, John-Paul Arp <jp AT ci-fi.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:12:54 -0700

On 8/23/06, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
The shopping cart metaphor has been discussed from the very beginnings
of ccMixter but never implemented. I encourage you to do so. :-) I
agree it would be a great feature.

What's funny about that is I could have sworn *you* were one that
killed that idea ;)

Basically the tricky thing about it is that to do it right

- the user would have to be logged in to download (which runs a little
counter to the share philosophy of ccHost)

- we'd have to actually track downloads, the only reliable way to do
that is to serve files through a script as opposed to straight linking

Freesound is an example that does the shopping cart model but then
their samples (not counting the zip packs) are tiny compared to the
fully mixes we tend to host at ccMixter and a video installation would
be even larger.

STILL it *would* be a great feature to give admins the choice if the
media makes sense (like images and small audio samples)

There's no doubt that allowing download urls in links to be
overwritten by a plugin in ccextras would mean changes to core files
in cclib -- something I've been meaning to do anyway.

VS