cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: John-Paul Arp <jp AT ci-fi.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:57:16 -0700

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 12:04 -0300, John-Paul Arp wrote:
> I'm really excited about ccHost. Also, it does almost everything that
> I wanted except for one of my projects except: the ability to easily
> mirror content accross ccHost sites,

Why do you want to mirror content?

In any case, you can get new content via
http://ccmixter.org/media/feed/atom/audio

If you want to mirror all content an unlimited length feed is also
available, updated daily, at http://ccmixter.org/dump/atom.xml though
I'd suggest using very judiciously (you probably don't even want to open
that URL in a browser, it will take a long time to render).

> and the ability to financially
> contribute to the artists.

This would be a great extension. Could be as simple as a paypal link,
assuming you have email addresses for artists. Or something more
complicated if you want the site to be involved.

> So I think I will work with ccHost, and try
> to build off of it and make some plugins down the road.
>
> (Side note, perhaps this is better placed on the feature request list but:
> After playing with ccHost, I was thinking one thing that might make it
> easier for artists to say what samples they used, is to create a
> Sample Bank for each registered artist. The Sample Bank, would be a
> list of links to samples that is populated whenever an artist clicks
> the "I sampled this" button, or searches on the "i used samples from"
> form, only now the links would be perminantly added. The Sample Bank,
> would be kind of like a shopping kart I guess.
>
> I noticed that right now when I click "I Sampled This" it autmaticaly
> takes me to the submit a remix page. But if instead, it was appended
> to my Sample Bank, then latter when I went to submit the remix, I
> could just sheck the samples of my list, rather than have to search.
> (This list of the sample bank could be sorted by title, date, and
> filtered by tag, etc...)
>
> A benificial side effect of this would be making it easier for artists
> to re-download the samples they already used. )

The shopping cart metaphor has been discussed from the very beginnings
of ccMixter but never implemented. I encourage you to do so. :-) I
agree it would be a great feature.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer