cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "John-Paul Arp" <jp AT ci-fi.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] ccHosting a local filter of/for ccMixter
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:04:54 -0300

I see. Thanks for the clarification Victor and Jon.

The solution you are working on is much more general purpose. I was
not sure how you would respond to the idea, which is why I wanted to
post it on the mailing list.

I'm really excited about ccHost. Also, it does almost everything that
I wanted except for one of my projects except: the ability to easily
mirror content accross ccHost sites, and the ability to financially
contribute to the artists. So I think I will work with ccHost, and try
to build off of it and make some plugins down the road.

(Side note, perhaps this is better placed on the feature request list but:
After playing with ccHost, I was thinking one thing that might make it
easier for artists to say what samples they used, is to create a
Sample Bank for each registered artist. The Sample Bank, would be a
list of links to samples that is populated whenever an artist clicks
the "I sampled this" button, or searches on the "i used samples from"
form, only now the links would be perminantly added. The Sample Bank,
would be kind of like a shopping kart I guess.

I noticed that right now when I click "I Sampled This" it autmaticaly
takes me to the submit a remix page. But if instead, it was appended
to my Sample Bank, then latter when I went to submit the remix, I
could just sheck the samples of my list, rather than have to search.
(This list of the sample bank could be sorted by title, date, and
filtered by tag, etc...)

A benificial side effect of this would be making it easier for artists
to re-download the samples they already used. )

Thanks for the hard work,
jp

On 8/23/06, Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 11:31 -0700, Victor Stone wrote:
> On 8/22/06, John-Paul Arp <jp AT ci-fi.org> wrote:
> > Here I am assuming that ccMixter intends to be a ccHost music hub. But
> > if not, I was thinking there could be (for example) a Canada ccHost
> > site, a New Brunswick ccHost site, and a Fredericton ccHost site that
> > form a hierarchy, and automatically and logically synergize content.
>
> ccMixter's goal is not be a hub, just another place where remixes
> happen and be just another example of ccHost's overall goal

Excctly, John-Paul, it would be great for you to make your own ccHost
site that hosts music...The thinking is to have a distributed network of
media sites that can all connect together...so ccmixter.org is just one
of those... :)

Jon

Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA