baslinux - Re: [BL] IBM ThinkPad 500 Trackpoint Problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] IBM ThinkPad 500 Trackpoint Problem
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:13:25 -0500

Thanks for the speedy reply.
As it is, I had to do a bit of editing in order for X to work on the 760XD (again, custom Ubuntu 6.06 with IceWM). Mouse seem to work fine.
In DOS and Windows, the TrackPoint on the 500 works fine, regardless of the desktop used. Mine is a very early model, no external PS/2 port. There is a serial (via dongle), but I'd need to dig for a mouse.
I should mention that, aside from the machine I'm on (ThinkPad again, model X41, Windows XP), I'm making a concerted effort to go open source whenever possible. Besides, it would be good to have something of a more modern OS on the 500, and if at all possible, have that pointer work properly. Aside from the aforementioned pointer problem, everything else seems to work just fine (BTW, nice little OS). All of this towards the inevitable goal of doing a full install.
There may be some changes that are needed in the BIOS; if not, going to look at the config and see what happens next.
Any findings will be posted here.

Cheers
--
Rob "The Vagabond Astronomer" Little
http://vagabondastronomer.blogspot.com

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive. To them... a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death." (Pearl S. Buck)