baslinux - Re: [BL] IBM ThinkPad 500 Trackpoint Problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] IBM ThinkPad 500 Trackpoint Problem
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:43:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hello,
This is the second time I've played with BasicLInux, and I think I may
be on my way to becoming a fan. After a successful LInux install on a
slightly newer machine (the one I'm on right now, a ThinkPad 760XD,
Pentium 166, 64mb, custom Ubuntu), I decided to play with BasicLinux
on my older ThinkPad 500 (486slc, 12mb) in preperation for a full
install. The kernel loads fine, and the command line system works
great. However, when X is launched, the TrackPoint doesn't work
properly; it sticks to the edges, and whenever it is moved the drop
down menu pops up. Does anyone know a work around?
Thanks,
Rob

Are you certain you set up the mouse in X the same on both laptops?
What is /dev/mouse linked to? Are you using Xvesa or standard X?
If you are running 2-floppy BL3.5 did you set up X with PS/2 mouse?

Does the mouse work under DOS? gpm mouse? On our 600E the trackpad was broken and needed to be disabled (with a hex editor in BIOS setup).

You can use an external mouse (serial or PS/2).

In theory X can use keyboard keys as mouse (arrow mouse) but I could not figure out how.

"Thinkwiki - a guide to installing linux on a range of Thinkpad laptops"
Says the 500 came with 4MB RAM, 50MHz, 1 pcmcia slot.
The link to trackpoints seems to be generic and for newer models.

Link to Adam F. Clark 'Linux on the IBM Thinkpad'
http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html
The 500 worked with VGA X server - WD 90C26A/LV. Can't find any mention of mouse problems.