baslinux - Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:17:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I downloaded one 563MB bittorrent file (MicroXP 2011) which was
supposed to be an iso file but is a directory with subdirectori
es, and the same thing as two rar files parts 1 and 2. Somehow
this 563MB is supposed to extract to 218MB and create a boot CD.

According to ehow, what is involved is:

Actually ehow listed Windows GUIs not linux method.

2) mkisofs (400K)- make one iso from all the files. Probably using a fast computer, which turns 563MB of files into 218MB of iso

Any idea how long it should take to make the iso from 563MB of files?

Linux Tutorial - Burning a CD or DVD.
mkisofs (page 19) Creating an ISO image file

As I interpret the instructions (theirs put the result into / where I did not have that much space - I used another partition), you put the file
system to be made into an iso into its own directory (or you can assemble from various places but that is more complicated).

mkisofs -o /path/to/filename.iso /directory/of/files
with switches before -o

-r preserve file permissions (is this relevant to NTFS?)

For 8.3 DOS files no other switches

I also used:

-l for long file names
-L for hidden files (does XP have these in . ?)

The burning process started and informed me that I am not burning iso-9660 compatible file (DOS) due to the -l.

For linux they also suggested -R (Rockridge) and -J (Joliet) - do I need these for XP?

I am getting estimates every 5% or so that the file will be done at 10:13 and it is now 15:00 Feb 2. Odd. I checked the computer date/time.

At 1.3GHz I am using under 1% of cpu and 0.2% of RAM, and should be done in about 30 minutes (when I will see if I really needed -R and -J)

I should have tested on something smaller. Now at 46%.

Thanks, Jason