baslinux - [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar (baslinux@lists.ibiblio.org)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar (baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:50:02 -0700

>I downloaded one 563MB bittorrent file (MicroXP 2011) which was
>supposed to be an iso file but is a directory with subdirectori
>es, and the same thing as two rar files parts 1 and 2. Somehow
>this 563MB is supposed to extract to 218MB and create a boot CD.

Ok - this part sounds possibly hosed from the onset... but maybe not. I
saw some DVD authoring tools while trying to burn a DVD in CentOS the
otherDay. I think the one that seems to be the "thing to have" at least
to get data in a folder like that "ready" for DVD I think is called:

mkisofs

I'm not sure if the lib this is part of or if a "package" for mkisofs
for BasicLinux. Note, I don't know alot about this package (Maybe
something like dvd authoring or maybe a mapckage with "ofs" in the
name.. dunno. I don't write CD's and that was my first DVD creation I
think... but it seems the two part approach for getting files from a dir
into a dvd is first to get the files in a "queue" in preparation for the
WRITE part in step #2. For the write operation ... and the second binary
that I used to make my DVD was:

growisofs

(I anticipate the name of this binary or the parameters might change
depending on CD or DVD. I read something during this hunt to make a DVD
that the CD and DVD writing methods and such are very different. I
believe it was suggesting what I did above somewhat - eluded that CD-ROM
apps are very different and I got the impression usually a separate
binary altogether for command line dvd versus cd - but this is from
memories of ripping through goolge pages trying to "grok" how to make my
DVD )

>How might I burn an iso file of either of these using BL? The online
>instructions all assume you downloaded an iso file or rar files that
>needed to be extracted with 7zip. Maybe older versions were iso files.
>I don't know why this did not come as one 218MB iso file instead.

I think step #1 will grab what you need - and queue it, and step #2 will
write. I think the bigger issue at this point might be trying to figure
out where those binaries come from and I think that is only a google
search away as well.

>This XP is stripped of the bloat and will run in much less RAM,
>but still needs at least 40MB to boot so is not suitable for
>really old computers, but it will run Opera 10 and Firefox 3.
>An older version was given to us on a computer. Can be tested
>under qemu."
>Sindi Keesan

You know - if you get stuff - like I tried to get to BasicLinux iBiblio
today (the link in this mailing list) and got a ibiblio 404 page with
every translation of file not found known to man LOL...

I have a ton of files online in a ftp - server - no promises stuff stays
there .. but here: ftp://jegas.net

In particular I have Some Basic Linux Files here that might help you IF
you have a file finding problem. No I'm not a mirror - it's just my own
lil repo I use so I can save the internet bandwidth by not downloading
the same application more than once if I can help it (reuse on own
network blah blah)

ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/Linux/BasicLinux/

I hope this post was at least somewhat helpful Sindi!
--Jason