baslinux - Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 18:32:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I downloaded one 563MB bittorrent file (MicroXP 2011) which was
supposed to be an iso file but is a directory with subdirectori
es, and the same thing as two rar files parts 1 and 2. Somehow
this 563MB is supposed to extract to 218MB and create a boot CD.

According to ehow, what is involved is:

1) unrar (under 200K) - extract files from one or more rar archives and put all the files in one place. The bittorrent may be files already but it equals the sum of the two rars.

2) mkisofs (400K)- make one iso from all the files. Probably using a fast computer, which turns 563MB of files into 218MB of iso
(Why would the iso itself not have been posted instead?).

3) cdrecord - burn the iso file

With Windows you need to download various much larger GUI programs and drag things around with a mouse. I tried ExpressBurn and after about 5 min of a little blue rectangle moving back and forth clicked on Burn and got a blank CD. (I should have read the help first).

Any idea how long it should take to make the iso from 563MB of files?