baslinux - Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar (baslinux@lists.ibiblio.org)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning bittorrent download or rar (baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:44:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I downloaded one 563MB bittorrent file (MicroXP 2011) which was
supposed to be an iso file but is a directory with subdirectori
es, and the same thing as two rar files parts 1 and 2. Somehow
this 563MB is supposed to extract to 218MB and create a boot CD.

Ok - this part sounds possibly hosed from the onset... but maybe not. I
saw some DVD authoring tools while trying to burn a DVD in CentOS the
otherDay. I think the one that seems to be the "thing to have" at least
to get data in a folder like that "ready" for DVD I think is called:

mkisofs

Slackware has this one. Make an iso and cdrecord filename.iso.
Will this create a bootable CD?

WRITE part in step #2. For the write operation ... and the second binary
that I used to make my DVD was:

growisofs

For a CD probably cdrecord. One of our members figured out how to burn CDs about 10 years ago. Slackware 7/8 approach involves ide-scsi. Search the archives.

Did you actually create (or copy) a DVD using BL?

How might I burn an iso file of either of these using BL? The online
instructions all assume you downloaded an iso file or rar files that
needed to be extracted with 7zip. Maybe older versions were iso files.
I don't know why this did not come as one 218MB iso file instead.

I think step #1 will grab what you need - and queue it, and step #2 will
write. I think the bigger issue at this point might be trying to figure
out where those binaries come from and I think that is only a google
search away as well.

I spent three days looking for an actual iso of the 2011 version to download for free. Found 2008 version as an iso. 215MB 2011 version (as iso?) for pay. Why would someone convert an iso to 1-3 rar's that are nearly three times as large? Maybe to make money for downloads? But the bittorrent is also 563MB and is free. Can you find microXP 2011 iso free?

You know - if you get stuff - like I tried to get to BasicLinux iBiblio
today (the link in this mailing list) and got a ibiblio 404 page with
every translation of file not found known to man LOL...

One of the BL3.5 links (that comes with BL3.5 links menu) still works.

I have a ton of files online in a ftp - server - no promises stuff stays
there .. but here: ftp://jegas.net

ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/Linux/BasicLinux has BL1 3.2 3.4 and 3.5
You have about 10 linuxes including Ubuntu and Puppy.
I am using BL2 with SW11 library updates and can therefore use Slackware 7 or later (through 11) isolinux.

ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/Linux/BasicLinux/

I hope this post was at least somewhat helpful Sindi!
--Jason

I will give it a try. Would 563MB of files compress to 218MB of iso?