baslinux - Re: [BL] links hacked

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links hacked
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:59:36 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

Claims to combine links2 and elinks.
Graphical (inline images), persistent cookies, SSL, javascript (see elinks
for instructions on how).

1MB source code and 2MB font packages.

Available at linuxpackages.net version 030709 2003 for Slackware 9.0.
4MB download including the 2MB font package.

Also available is w3m 0.5 2002 (with added support for Asian languages)
for Slackware 10.0, which refused to compile for me even after I compiled
libgc. Complained about long long (Chinese characters?) and sqrt and even
not finding libgpm (which is there).

I have not tested either of these.

w3m works (it needs libgc which I posted) but it needs some additional libpixbuf file to do inline images in X with the built-in viewer, and I could not get it to use xv instead. Steep learning curve but promising.

links-hacked has enough javascript to cause problems. Links2ssl nongraphical without javascript (ver 33 - 28 was the last with javascript) hits the redirect page and you just click on the link to proceed. (Ditto for lynx and probably w3m and retawq which don't do javascript). The javascript links2 asks whether to run the script, and you click on that and it proceeds. Elinks tries to redirect, fails, and if you click on a redirect link (I tried two different pages) at gmail, 'invalid page'. I was unable to log in normally but got through some other way, then hit another redirect (when trying to send mail?).

SSL does work. I was hoping the advertised Mozilla-based javascript would be an improvement over links2. Maybe it will work better some place else.

There are built-in Roman fonts (not very pretty) and I have not bothered to add the 2MB package (which might have Cyrillic - links2 does).
It appears to be just more roman fonts in png format (no Cyrillic either).
links-hacked takes over all four windows in icewm.

I also downloaded and compiled debris C++-based text browser from 2000 which is about 500K, does not work offline, comes with almost no help, claims to have rudimentary forms ability but won't work with any forms I tried (including google). Abandoned for good reason.

So far links2 is the winner except for lack of persistent cookies and automatic redirect for which elinks is better.
links-hacked is supposed to have been compiled to work with fb driver as well as svgalib (not usable on this laptop) and x (usable). How do you use fb driver? Or is that Xfbdev (which does work - no Xvesa here).
w3m and links2 should also support fb or directfb (not sure).