baslinux - [BL] typing extended ASCII

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] typing extended ASCII
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:56:38 +0000 (UTC)

BL's pico (limited nano) will let me type ascii characters through 128.
Full nano types some of the extended ASCII but gets much of it wrong.
Instead of c cedilla it types ^ upper-case-C-cedilla and umlaut-e is ^E.
Even nano used within lynx turns the characters into small solid squares.

Joe does not work for this.

How do I input extended ascii characters in terminal mode? Or even in X?
I am trying to use an online Albanian dictionary which unlike some others insists on the diacritics. Half of the words have umlaut e and others c cedilla.

In lynx I am using 8859-1 - should it be something else?

Online research suggests a hex editor. I compiled one but cannot figure out what to do with it - it edits preexisting files.

Sindi Keesan