baslinux - Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:37:48 +0000 (UTC)

echo -e '\753' is the e umlaut,
echo -e '\747' is the c cedilla
(on VGA monitor - on TTL they are Greek characters)
I made scripts e and c.

What numbering system is this? With Alt key the
characters would be in the 130 range, two numbers
apart.

I have a dual-monitor system (TTL/MGA and VGA).

If I type the above on my TTL monitor, then after
that I also see Greek characters (delta and gamma)
instead of the ones I want, on my VGA monitor.
Logging out and in again did not help.

I may need to reboot.
It worked again if I did not first display on the TTL.

Can I store the special character in a file and import it into pico?

Using my scripts 'e' (for e umlaut) and 'c' (c cedilla):
e > /tmp/ee
c > /tmp/cc
Or echo -e '\747' > /tmp/ee.

less -r ee displays e umlaut.

This works in pico (Ctrl-r, ee), but not to fill in a search form on the web, as at http://www.argijiro.net/fjalor/

How do I move around and select text to copy and paste in splitvt?
vi-like keybindings, says one site, similar to 'screen'.

The 'screen' console program has a huge man page.

screen, space to continue,

Ctrl-a, : , split
splits one screen in half horizontally.

Ctrl-a, tab
moves between the two parts.

Ctrl-a, Q exits the second region

Screen has a buffer. Copy to it and paste repeatedly from it.
The copy range is specified by setting two marks. Space sets either mark. Or Y and y mark a line or from start of line, or W marks a word.
This may require getting into some command mode first. Ctrl-a ESC ?
Ctrl-a < copy into buffer, Ctrl-a > paste to a file.

Could someone summarize the copy and paste process from start to finish?