baslinux - Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:01:58 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Try the following:
------------------
echo -e '\753\747'
------------------
echo -e '\753' is the e umlaut,
echo -e '\747' is the c cedilla
(on VGA monitor - on TTL they are Greek characters)
I made scripts e and c.

How would I do this from a browser?

Once you've got a character on the screen
(eg in an xterm), you can highlight it
with the mouse and middle-click it into
your browser.

I avoid mice and was going to use splitvt instead, copy, switch screens, and paste, but the command to switch screens is Ctrl-W which is a pico command. This would be okay if I needed one not two diacritics but I cannot switch back from pico to the screen with the characters I need to copy.

(I also forgot how to select text with splitvt, which you need to do before you Ctrl-o, c to copy, or Ctrl-o, p to paste, and the man page omits this information - I think you use vi keys somehow).

Other than using a mouse, or 'screen' to copy - what else do you suggest?
Can I store the special character in a file and import it into pico?