baslinux - Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] typing extended ASCII
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:15:31 +0000 (UTC)

Try the following:
------------------
echo -e '\753\747'
------------------
echo -e '\753' is the e umlaut,
echo -e '\747' is the c cedilla
(on VGA monitor - on TTL they are Greek characters)
I made scripts e and c.

What numbering system is this? With Alt key the
characters would be in the 130 range, two numbers
apart.

I have a dual-monitor system (TTL/MGA and VGA).

If I type the above on my TTL monitor, then after
that I also see Greek characters (delta and gamma)
instead of the ones I want, on my VGA monitor.
Logging out and in again did not help.
I may need to reboot.

Showfont on both monitors lists the same characters.

How would I do this from a browser?

Once you've got a character on the screen
(eg in an xterm), you can highlight it
with the mouse and middle-click it into
your browser.

Can I store the special character in a file and import it into pico?

Using my scripts 'e' (for e umlaut) and 'c' (c cedilla):
e > /tmp/ee
c > /tmp/cc

In pico, Ctrl-R, /tmp/ee - gives me the 'e' character
(a delta at present)

I could set up a Russian keyboard this way, given enough time.

Doing this in X might require switching to a different font
than the default one in BL3, to get extended ascii.