baslinux - [BL] BL3.50 fd framebuffer/Xfbdev

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.50 fd framebuffer/Xfbdev
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:55:27 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bl35fdfb.zip 2.6MB

For use with neomagic or chips video (Vesa 2.0) and wireless pcmcia.
Neomagic does not work with Xvesa. Found in my DELL 166MHz and Gateway 200MHz laptops. 2MB RAM. (Might work with 1MB but the framebuffer resolution is set to 800x600).

Similar to BL3.50 floppy disk but:

disk1f.img Omitted mail programs to make space for a larger 2.2.26 kernel (zimafbcd.226) which supports framebuffer and is set to boot to 800x600 text resolution (filling the screen).

disk2f.tgz

Deleted mgp to make space (180K).

Replaced Xvesa 855K (uclibc) with Xfbdev 684K (libc5 4.60 from Xorg).

Added cursor.pcf.gz and changed fonts.dir to match. (My earlier problems with xfbdev were due to using a Matrox video card, which is not compatible even in vesafb mode - it works fine in BL3 on most video cards - cursor.pcf.gz and modified fonts.dir can be copied to your setup from my 2-fd BL). Changed startx to use Xfbdev.

(Stripped libc5 Xvesa (4.60) is 705K and could also be substituted in Steven's disk2.tgz to leave more space on it. To do this, copy disk2.tgz from floppy disk or hard drive to /tmp, tar -zxvf, replace Xvesa with the one from Xorg which I posted at my site in Xtinyx.tgz package after stripping it with strip, tar -zcvf disk2.tgz *. Steven, is there any reason not to do this?).

Replaced ne and ne2k modules with 3c589_cs and smc91c92_cs (ethernet) and added airo and wvlan (for some orinoco cards) and added some lines to pcmcia config to use them.

disk2f.tgz is now 1.225MB, which leaves 232K free to add things, such as putting back mgp. Any suggestions what I should add?

Changed rc on disk1 to use disk2f.tgz. Made some notes in /etc/issue about the changes.

Forgot to change resolv.conf on disk1 (which is a pain to make changes to) so keep that on disk2 along with your phone numbers in eznet.conf.

The 2-floppy boots and runs X on the Gateway. 11MB out of 48MB used by Xfbdev and jwm without running any programs, at 800x600 (16 bit). I have not tested with wireless.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] BL3.50 fd framebuffer/Xfbdev, baslinux, 10/22/2008