baslinux - [BL] MP3 players

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] MP3 players
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:25:21 +0000 (UTC)

mpg123 from Slackware 7.1 is out of date and I could not get the latest version to compile (2008).

I have compiled for glibc 2.2.5 (Slackware 8.1):

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mpg321-0.2.10-glibc225.tgz
120K package, 175K binary plus 55K libao.so.1
2002 latest version

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mp3blaster-3.2.1-glibc221.tgz
120K package includes mp3blaster 267K and 20K nmixer
both require ncurses and libpthread and libgpm
2005 latest version

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mplayer-0.93-glibc225-novideo.gz
3MB binary (1MB gz) as opposed to 7MB David's version.
This one is sound only, and no ogg.

Top shows mp3blaster four times - is this 4 x 0.3% of RAM?

mpg123 0.1% of 512MB RAM 191KB

mpg321 same 155K plus 75K libao.so

mplayer-uclibc 0.3 and 0.2 7MB (ogg)
mplayer-novideo glibc225 0.4 and 0.4 3MB

mp3blaster glibc225 0.3 + 0.3 + 0.3 + 0.3 267KB (no ogg)
Provides ncurses-based graphical-like interface and you can play from a playlist, such as a list of radio stations in a file.

These all do streaming MP3s. mp3blaster and mplayer would do ogg if I knew how to compile for that. (I am missing src/.deps). Only mplayer seems to buffer and do WMA. uclibc (David M's) mplayer is much larger but uses half the memory and neither fits on floppy disk, but the 3MB one would fit better in loop linux. I compiled but did not post a version that also plays video with x11, svgalib, and vesa, also 3MB.

Xvesa 4.60 libc5 and Stephen's older Xvesa-uclibc-static use the same amounts of memory. The stripped libc5 version is smaller (869580 uclibc-static vs 716848 libc5). The uclibc-static version is not strippable. The only reason I can think of to use the uclibc version here is that it works with both BL3 libc5 and BL2 glibc. But it takes up more floppy disk space. The newer one gives a long list of options when you type Xvesa --listmodes such as use VESA mode number n.

To compile mpg321 I had to compile libao which needed libid3tag header ld3tag.h

mpg321 needed libid3tag.a and libmad.a to compile (I compiled those packages first), and is dependent on libao.so.1 (which I compiled).

These are all the command-line mp3 players I found.

mpg123 (2000) is still the smallest and uses the least memory.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] MP3 players, baslinux, 10/23/2008