baslinux - [BL] logging Linux system messages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] logging Linux system messages
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:53:09 -0700 (PDT)

My /var/log/messages file is still empty.
How can i log what's going on?

Specifically -- now that i'm enjoying being
online so much (on both the Toshiba and the
Compaq, both with the Aironet 350 card) --
i've download all of the "addons" from the
BasicLinux website ... but before i install
them, i want to turn on a way to log exactly
what installing them is going to do to the
existing (i.e., mostly-original) BL system.

I installed several addons in my virtual machines,
and saw the paths of all manner of new files
flying across the screen during the installation
process. I'd like to keep a hard copy of those.

As you guys know from a previous thread i started,
i have both jwm and icewm on one of those VM's.
But there are some things not happening the
way i'd like them to, and having lists of the
added files would help me track stuff down.

It's no big deal to lose track of things in
a VM, but i definitely want to have the logs
available on the real machines before i do the
installations.

(Thanks again to Steven and Sindi for the
wireless help!)

-monz