baslinux - Re: [BL] logging Linux system messages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] logging Linux system messages
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:43:30 +0000 (UTC)

From Sindi Keesan

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

My /var/log/messages file is still empty.
How can i log what's going on?

Specifically -- now that i'm enjoying being
online so much (on both the Toshiba and the
Compaq, both with the Aironet 350 card) --
i've download all of the "addons" from the
BasicLinux website ... but before i install
them, i want to turn on a way to log exactly
what installing them is going to do to the
existing (i.e., mostly-original) BL system.

You can see what is in the packages with
tar -ztvf packagename.tgz

I forget how to save the output of that command to a file.

Sometimes there is an install.sh script in them which does things, but otherwise the pkg command just copies the files to where they are in the file structure in the package. The slackware installpkg command which BL3 does not use (it is larger) keeps track of what went where in /var/log/packages and lets you removepkg. You can get it from Slackware 4.0 if you are going to remove a lot of packages.

I installed several addons in my virtual machines,
and saw the paths of all manner of new files
flying across the screen during the installation
process. I'd like to keep a hard copy of those.

-monz