baslinux - Re: [BL] setting the system date permanently

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] setting the system date permanently
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steven,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
> monz wrote:
> >
> > Now, everytime i turn on the machine, it
> > calculates the date from the day that i
> > installed BL, but it thinks that that day
> > was January 1, 1990.
> >
> > Is there a way to set a more permanent date?
>
> Is DOS on that machine? If not, boot DOS from a
> DOS floppy. The use the DATE command (in DOS) to
> set a new date.

Cool. BL is the only OS on the Toshiba, so i
booted DOS from a floppy and changed the date,
and so far it has stuck. Thanks!

... Actually, i'm surprised about that, because
i thought the DOS "date" command did the same as
the Linux "date" command. But apparently not.

> > I thought maybe it was messed up because there's
> > probably a nearly-dead CMOS battery or something
> > like that ...
>
> Your CMOS battery probably discharged while the
> computer was unused. Now that you are using it,
> the CMOS battery has recharged and is remembering
> the date. Unfortunately, it is the wrong date.

That's exactly as i surmised. I tried going into
the BIOS to set the system date, but there seemed
to be no way to do it.

I'll try to post more details on the BIOS.
BTW, the BIOS screen on the Toshiba T4800CT looks
exactly like the one on the Compaq Armada 7710MT.
But i know the Compaq is 2 or 3 years newer than
the Toshiba.

-monz