baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:05:35 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

A battery indicator seems like a useful tool
for BL since it is aimed at laptops (but none
of my older laptops have chargeable batteries).

I have six old laptops. None of them has a
useable battery.

We have three Compaqs (not counting a 486 with one bad key), three Toshibas, one Gateway, one Hitachi, one DELL, and only the latter has 2 minutes of battery time. (And two 386s and an XT that still work). But this does not mean BL should not support laptops that do have usable batteries. It is even useful on computers that are LESS than ten years old. It boots fast, works on computers where Ubuntu and Knoppix won't boot even if they do have enough memory, and on computers which won't boot from CD, is straightforward and a good educational tool. Therefore some way to check battery would be useful. Could you compile apm.o as a module and post that? I don't see it under misc.