baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sindi,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> The 'big' BL3 kernel does not have apm support,
> which you probably need.
>
> See also Configure.help and CONFIG_PM (which for
> 2.2.26 may be CONFIG_APM
> instead). If your kernel is compiled to support
> APM, you should see
> battery power info in /proc/apm. (?).
>
> You can compile the driver as apm.o or built into
> the kernel.
>
> There is a graphical torsmo program that you can
> compile if you have the
> right X libraries to compile with - 82K at
> sourceforge for source code.
> It also shows memory usage, kernel, etc.

Thanks for all of that ... but i'm still enough
of a Linux newbie that i have never successfully
compiled any downloaded programs. I've always
gotten new software in the bigger Linuxes by
using the regular package managers. I know that
this is not an option in BL!

> A battery indicator seems like a useful tool for BL
> since it is aimed at
> laptops (but none of my older laptops have
> chargeable batteries).

Considering the great deal that i got on this
Compaq (only US $22 on Ebay, $35 total with
the shipping charges), i was very surprised to
find not only a nicely-loaded install of Win95,
but also a very decent battery! I can actually
use this machine for well over an hour on battery
alone!

-monz