baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux battery meter?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:53:00 +0000 (UTC)

The 'big' BL3 kernel does not have apm support,
which you probably need.

Just apm support may be enough to provide battery information.
If you can learn to boot with loadlin, you can try out various kernels from other sources (though they won't work with the BL modules). Slackware probably has something with APM support, for instance.

Thanks for all of that ... but i'm still enough
of a Linux newbie that i have never successfully
compiled any downloaded programs. I've always
gotten new software in the bigger Linuxes by
using the regular package managers. I know that
this is not an option in BL!
I taught myself. First install the required compiler (gcc) and libraries as listed at the BL site. Get source code, type ./configure, and make, and sometimes it actually works without other changes.

A battery indicator seems like a useful tool for BL
since it is aimed at
laptops (but none of my older laptops have
chargeable batteries).

Considering the great deal that i got on this
Compaq (only US $22 on Ebay, $35 total with
the shipping charges), i was very surprised to
find not only a nicely-loaded install of Win95,
but also a very decent battery! I can actually
use this machine for well over an hour on battery
alone!

The battery would cost more than that, congrats.
We have one with a 2 minute battery, the others totally dead.
Which may be why people gave them to us free (along with dead hard disk etc.).
Sindi

-monz