baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:30:55 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Message from Steven
===================
Samir wrote:
However, this approach has one disadvantage, it requires 12 megabytes RAM.

Yes, but the DOS version of BL3 requires only 3 megabytes.

IDEA: I think about BasicLinux installer which will install to FAT or Ext2fs partition. In a case of FAT it can be DOS based which will execute:
FDISK
Format
UNZIP with floppy change

I mean it. When I spoke about installer, I planed to write DOS program which will decompress loop file from two floppies, and optionally call fdisk and format. However, although loop file resides on FAT partition, I can add syslinux installer to get rid of DOS. The installer will look like this:

Bootable freedos or Caldera Opendos floppy which will in autoexec.bat start installer written in TurboPascal. (I like this program and it generates quite small executables).

Installer Menu:

Repartition Hard Disk - this will execute FDISK and return
Select source and destination disk - you can select floppy and hard disk drive
Format destination disk partition - this will execute format.exe and return
Make destination disk bootable: Give you option to install SysLinux or FreeDos kernel
Install from first floppy: Copies some files to hard disk and uncompress first part of LOOPFS file to hard disk
Install from second floppy: uncompress second part of LOOPFS file to hard disk
(Eventually install from third floppy - only if I can not compress to two floppies)
Create swap file - Unpacks swap file
Finish installation - It will check if all files on disk are of correct size and exit.

The only part I would to add, but I do not know how, is to select size of loopfs file. I guess that I need to change some bytes in the header of loopfs file and append something to the end of the file. Maybe ext2resize program will be solution.

Samir