baslinux - [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "Basic Linux" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:55:57 -0300

Now I have BL3 installed to HD and it boots ok.
Let me resume my steps:
- Boot from floppies 1 and 2;
- fdisk -l (just to have a look at the partition table and see what's
going on there)
- fdisk /dev/hda (to start partitioning my DEVice /hda, which stands for
C: if it was DOS)
- fdisk option "n" allowed me to start a New partition, followed by "p" for
"primary" and "1" for the first ;
- fdisk option "n" again to make another partition, "p" for "primary" and
"2" for the second ( I understand this is merely optional - I wouldn't
need a second partition, right? )
- fdisk option "w" Wrote the partition table

As suggested by the system, I run e2fsck /dev/hda1 and it say that
something was "clear" . I understood it as "OK"
Then I run mke2fs /dev/hda1 in order to put an ext2 file system on my
/dev/hda1 partition
Next step was mounting, by mount /dev/hda1 /hd
Now, install-to-hd ENTER (simply like this)
I heve put floppy1 on tge drive and reboot
When "LILO" started to appear, I pressed CTRL and I was prompted with "BOOT:
"
The I've commanded hd root=/dev/hda1
( This is where I was making it the wrong way: I was typing "hd
root=/dev/hda1 /HD" )
The system made itself a lot of procedures and gave me the welcome screen.
At that point I commanded lilo -v
Followed by fdisk /dev/hda , option "a", "1", "w" which made that
partition bootable.
OK, now it boots from HD .

But if I did hda1 bootable by the first time I wrote the partition
table instead of making it by last?
Did it work the same way?

Thanks,
Teixeira