baslinux - [BL] BL not booting on Compaq Armada 1573DM

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL not booting on Compaq Armada 1573DM
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:14:30 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Sindi:

Compaq Armada 1573DM 233MHz, 32MB
Dropped off by a friend without hard disk and no comments.

Two-floppy BL3.50 (lilo) gets stuck after many lines of:
CPU#0: Machine check exception: 0x 107D08 (type 0x 9)

David Moberg's syslinux 1-floppy USB linux with kernel 2.4.31 just stops loading on the second line (initrd.gz?). I think his kernel is somewhat modeled on BL3 kernels.

Knoppix 5.1.1 of Jan 2007 gives pages of error messages on this computer. The same boot CD works on our other Compaq (120MHz), where BL3.50 also boots (and Xvesa crashes, Yamaha video). I typed Knoppix 2 at the boot prompt to boot in 32MB without GUI. Kernel 2.6.19.

DSL linux (older version) is based on Knoppix 2.78 Live CD, does boot.
Kernel 2.4.20. Xvesa does not work here (or on our Compaq Presario).

Ultimate Boot CD latest version has BL3.40, which acts the same as from the 2 floppies.

On this same CD, Trinux and Tomsrtbt linux both boot. Trinux 0.8x uses a 2.4 kernel and syslinux (so does David's 1-floppy USB linux based on BL). Is tomsrtbt lilo-booting?

Nobody else on the web had my exact error message and even "type 0x 9" was rare. Machine check exceptions are sometimes kernel bugs. One person reported getting errors after upgrading a kernel.

Maybe BL and knoppix kernels don't support this laptop? Standard Pentium CPU with MMX. Other people have run linux on this model.

I can copy BL3.50 loop version to hard disk via USB flash drive in
DOS, then boot with the kernel from tomsrtbt or trinux if the other kernels don't work with loadlin. Other ideas?

I have never run into a computer before that won't boot loop BL3 unless it is half dead.