baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:05:28 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Samir wrote:

> However, this approach has one disadvantage,
> it requires 12 megabytes RAM.

Yes, but the DOS version of BL3 requires only 3 megabytes.

> IDEA: I think about BasicLinux installer which will
> install to FAT or Ext2fs partition. In a case of FAT
> it can be DOS based which will execute:
> FDISK
> Format
> UNZIP with floppy change

Running Linux directly from a DOS partition is slower
and less efficient than using a loop file. The DOS
version of BL3 runs from a loop file.

> In case of ext2fs, with Linux, I could use some boot
> floppies similar to Samel Linux.

Installing from boot floppies that run in a ramdisk
wastes RAM on the ramdisk. That's why the low-RAM
version of BL3 installs from a DOS loopfile.