baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 on HD - Victory!
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:44:34 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Now I have BL3 installed to HD and it boots ok.
Let me resume my steps:
- Boot from floppies 1 and 2;
- fdisk -l (just to have a look at the partition table and see what's
going on there)
- fdisk /dev/hda (to start partitioning my DEVice /hda, which stands for
C: if it was DOS)
- fdisk option "n" allowed me to start a New partition, followed by "p" for
"primary" and "1" for the first ;
- fdisk option "n" again to make another partition, "p" for "primary" and
"2" for the second ( I understand this is merely optional - I wouldn't
need a second partition, right? )
- fdisk option "w" Wrote the partition table

As suggested by the system, I run e2fsck /dev/hda1 and it say that
something was "clear" . I understood it as "OK"
Then I run mke2fs /dev/hda1 in order to put an ext2 file system on my
/dev/hda1 partition
Next step was mounting, by mount /dev/hda1 /hd
Now, install-to-hd ENTER (simply like this)
I heve put floppy1 on tge drive and reboot
When "LILO" started to appear, I pressed CTRL and I was prompted with "BOOT:
"
The I've commanded hd root=/dev/hda1
( This is where I was making it the wrong way: I was typing "hd
root=/dev/hda1 /HD" )
The system made itself a lot of procedures and gave me the welcome screen.
At that point I commanded lilo -v
Followed by fdisk /dev/hda , option "a", "1", "w" which made that
partition bootable.
OK, now it boots from HD .

But if I did hda1 bootable by the first time I wrote the partition
table instead of making it by last?
Did it work the same way?

However, this approach has one disadvantage, it requires 12 megabytes RAM. For computers with four megabytes we would need different set of floppies.

IDEA:

I think about BasicLinux installer which will install to FAT or Ext2fs partition. In a case of FAT it can be DOS based which will execute:

FDISK
Format
UNZIP with floppy change

In case of ext2fs, with Linux, I could use some boot floppies similar to Samel Linux. The first boot floppy will partitionate and format hard disk, copy kernel, busybox and install script to the destination computer and execute lilo. Then reboot from hard disk without first floppy, insert the second floppy where the rest of BL is compressed and uncompress it.

Samir

Thanks,
Teixeira