baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:17:07 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Teixeira wrote:

> Reading boot sector from current root
> Merging with /boot/boot.b
> Boot image: /boot/zimage
> added BL3 *
> Backup copy of boot sector in /boot/boot.0301
> Writing boot sector

That looks OK. Lilo appears to be written
to boot sector of current root partition.

> Where is says "backup copy of boot sector..."
> is it a system information,

Yes.

> or an order so that I need to make a backup?

No.

> Something is amazing me: Everytime it fails to boot
> form HD it also informs there is NO ext2 file system,

I can think of three possible reasons for this:
(1) you did not execute "lilo -v" from BL3 ext2 partition
(2) the BL3 partition is not the only bootable parition
(3) there is an old (non-BL3) lilo in the MBR

> so I have to start all the process from mke2fs

That should not be necessary. The ext2 partition
should still be there. The probable problem is lilo.

> fdisk -l (it shows me if there's any partition)
> fdisk /dev/hda (then I delete each partition with
> the "d" option and I finish with "w")
> fdisk /dev/hda n (which stands for "new"), "p"
> (for "primary") and "1" (for hda1)
> Then I write the table and verify it with fdisk -l again.

No problem.

> mke2fs /dev/hda1 ( to put the ext2 file format on the hd,
> but before I run e2fsck /dev/hda1 which says it is clean.
> mount /dev/hda1 /hd (to mount it on /hd)
> install-to-hd <enter>

No problem.

> at this pont the system goes normally and insturcts me to
> reboot from floppy1 and to press <ctrl> whwn I see "LILO"

Good. It appears the installation of the filesystem is complete.

> reboot <enter> (with floppy1 on the drive)
> hd root=/dev/hda1 /hd

That /hd is wrong. You should enter: hd root=/dev/hda1
(assuming you put the BL3 filesytem on /dev/hda1)

> (It still does not work if Iboot from HD at this point)

It will not work until lilo is correctly installed.

> then I reboot again with floppy1 on drive.

I don't understand. Why are you rebooting?
Are you returning to the floppy version?
Do not run "lilo -v" from inside floppy version.
It will not work. You must execute "lilo -v" from
inside the HD filesystem (created by install-to-hd).

"hd root=/dev/hda1" takes you to the filesystem
inside /dev/hda1. You excute 'lilo -v" there.

> Remark: If I try to install-to-hd the system tells
> me there is no ext2 file system.

It should not be necessary to run install-to-hd again.
It appears that install-to-hd worked perfectly the
first time. Use "hd root=/dev/hda1" to get into the
filesystem. We should be able to fix the problem from
there.

> My friend Maran is having the same problem.

Please reassure me that you (and Maran) are able
to boot the HD filesystem using: hd root=/dev/hda1
(that assumes the ext2 partition you created and
mounted on /hd was /dev/hda1).

If you are both able to do that, then the problem is
simply lilo configuration (which we should be able to
fix).