baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:33:27 -0300

This is what I read after lilo -v:

LILO version 20, copyright 1992-1997 Werner Almesberger
Reading boot sector from currente root
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/zimage
added BL3 *
Backup copy of boot sector in /boot/boot.0301
Writing boot sector

( Where is says "backup copy of boot sector..." is it a system information,
or an order so that I need to make a backup? )

Something is amazing me: Everytime it fails to boot form HD it also informs
there is NO ext2 file system, so I have to start all the process from
mke2fs

This is what I am doing (my HD is 1.28GB):

fdisk -l (it shows me if there's any partition)
fdisk /dev/hda (then I delete each partition with the "d" option and I
finish with "w")
fdisk /dev/hda n (which stands for "new"), "p" (for "primary") and "1" (for
hda1)
(I am making one only partition which occupies the whole HD )
Then I write the table and verify it with fdisk -l again.

mke2fs /dev/hda1 ( to put the ext2 file format on the hd,
but before I run e2fsck /dev/hda1 which says it is clean.

mount /dev/hda1 /hd (to mount it on /hd)

install-to-hd <enter>

at this pont the system goes normally and insturcts me to reboot from
floppy1 and to press <ctrl> whwn I see "LILO"

What I am doing:
reboot <enter> (with floppy1 on the drive)

Boot:

Here I inform hd root=/dev/hda1 /hd

(It still does not work if Iboot from HD at this point)

then I reboot again with floppy1 on drive.
When I get the prompt again, that's where I can type lilo -v and get the
messages above

Remark: If I try to install-to-hd the sustem tells me there is no ext2 file
system.

My friend Maran is having the same problem. We know that we are doing
something wrong but we don't know what ( and Maran used Slackware for some
time before choosing Debian ).

Cheers
Teixeira