baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BL3 to HD from floppies
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:00:49 +0000 (UTC)

I am sure Steven could find the problem but it is the middle of the night where he is.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, sindi wrote:

This is what I read after lilo -v:

LILO version 20, copyright 1992-1997 Werner Almesberger
Reading boot sector from currente root
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/zimage
added BL3 *
Backup copy of boot sector in /boot/boot.0301
Writing boot sector

( Where is says "backup copy of boot sector..." is it a system information,
or an order so that I need to make a backup? )

The boot image is found in /boot/zimage
The program added BL3 A backup copy of the boot sector is in /boot/boot.0301
The program is writing the boot sector (a copy of it, to /boot).

Someone was trying to save space by leaving out words. This is considered good written style in English but is often not intelligible.

Something is amazing me: Everytime it fails to boot form HD it also informs
there is NO ext2 file system, so I have to start all the process from

I think you did not follow instructions exactly. I have not installed form floppy disk but I can read the install-to-hd script from the floppy disk.

To do this:
I mounted disk 1
mount -o loop /dev/fd0 /mnt
I copied over disk1.gz to a new partition (disk1).
I unumounted /mnt.
I then mounted the disk image file disk1
mount -o loop /dev/fd0 /mnt
less /mnt/usr/sbin/install-to-hd

I think what the script does is: Instruct you to make, format and mount the hard disk and let you stop if you have not yet done this. Then check if the hard disk was actually formatted (it looks for 'lost and found') and if it has files on it already. If you have a formatted empty partition, it then copies over all the directories with files to your hard disk ext2 partition and also makes a few directories without files, and makes an fstab file that is correct for your partition name. Where you see $1, the script changes it to match your partition name (/dev/hda1).

You then insert floppy 1 and it copies your zimage (kernel) to /hd/boot/.
Then tells you

To boot your new partition:
(1) reboot with floppy 1 in drive,
(2) press CTRL when you see LILO
(3) enter this: hd root=$1 (which you will see as hd root=/dev/hda1)

Should this part tell lilo to install itself to the boot sector of hda (not hda1) and then boot using hda1 as root?

You typed: hd root=/dev/hda1 /hd I don't think this is right - Steven?
What you typed looks similar to mount /dev/hda1 /hd

Instead maybe you should type:
hd root=/dev/hda1 (without that last /hd)

I think this sets things up to boot from the hard drive, using the partition /dev/hda1 (first partition on the first drive) for root.

Then after this you install lilo to hda1.

To install lilo to your harddrive:
(1) Use floppy 1 to boot $1 (to boot /dev/hda1).
(2) execute lilo -v
(3) use fdisk (option a) to make $1 the boot partition.
END

Sindi

mke2fs

This is what I am doing (my HD is 1.28GB):

fdisk -l (it shows me if there's any partition)
fdisk /dev/hda (then I delete each partition with the "d" option and I
finish with "w")
fdisk /dev/hda n (which stands for "new"), "p" (for "primary") and "1" (for
hda1)
(I am making one only partition which occupies the whole HD )
Then I write the table and verify it with fdisk -l again.

mke2fs /dev/hda1 ( to put the ext2 file format on the hd,
but before I run e2fsck /dev/hda1 which says it is clean.

mount /dev/hda1 /hd (to mount it on /hd)

install-to-hd <enter>

at this pont the system goes normally and insturcts me to reboot from
floppy1 and to press <ctrl> whwn I see "LILO"

What I am doing:
reboot <enter> (with floppy1 on the drive)

Boot:

Here I inform hd root=/dev/hda1 /hd

I think you should just type hd root=/dev/hda1.

(It still does not work if Iboot from HD at this point)

then I reboot again with floppy1 on drive.
When I get the prompt again, that's where I can type lilo -v and get the
messages above

Remark: If I try to install-to-hd the sustem tells me there is no ext2 file
system.

My friend Maran is having the same problem. We know that we are doing
something wrong but we don't know what ( and Maran used Slackware for some
time before choosing Debian ).

Cheers
Teixeira