baslinux - Re: [BL] rescue disk

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] rescue disk
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:18:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

My problem was that Abiword did not display the
difference between grey and black text

Colors? I never use colors in AbiWord (I'm not even
sure whether AbiWord does colors). My printer is a
dot-matrix so colors in documents are useless to me.

I don't print colored documents either (on the HP Laserjet 6L or the dot-matrix) but I HAD to be see them in order to translate this document because they only wanted the 'black' parts done, not the grey or red.

I have loop BL3 working on the primary master drive (the slave failed and affected CMOS, and it keeps rebooting randomly). I installed links2 and it is not displaying the text colors.

Opera in Win98 is displaying black on black for htm and txt files (as is the wordprocessor - something wrong with the video settings?). Will try with opera/linux to see if rtf2html preserved the text colors.

Abiword does not display the tables in WORD either.

Are we talking RTF or DOC? AbiWord only handles simple
DOCs well; it has problems with more complicated ones.
However, I've never had problem with RTFs on AbiWord
(but, of course, I don't do colors).

RTF in this case. I asked for PDF (which SVP svgalib-based pdf viewer displays perfectly). They sent it after hours and then went home.

I usually use antiword on doc files. I don't know if it would have handled this colored stuff if I converted to ps instead of text.
It attempts some formatting when converting to plain text.

It is always complicated stuff that I am sent as WORD files - tables,
colors, little ovals surrounding the text... MS WORD to PDF convertor does this properly. Ghostscript (SVP uses it) and xpdf do well.

So a larger Xvesa cursor would not make opera any more legible.

Opera is not legible for you? Have you tried magnifying
the screen? Opera has a nice magnify feature -- works
for graphics too.

The X cursor in Opera (or jwm in general) was too small for one of my experimental subjects to even find. Magnifying Opera probably would not magnify the cursor.

The cursor is needed by jwm to change focus within Opera. Alt-Tab seems to work outside of Opera to change focus to a new rxvt. I may replace jwm with icewm for her. Unless you want to try compiling the automatic-focus-changing feature from a later version into this one.

My other suggestion was that she get reading glasses to supplement her bifocals.