baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:29:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

OK, I will stop now.

But apparently some of these PC cards (PCMICIA?) do have Linux drivers:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLa
yout&cid=1115417109934&packedargs=sku%3D1121874576896&pagename=Linksys%2FCommo
n%2FVisitorWrapper

I found an old list of wireless ethernet cards that are not cardbus (they are 16-bit, cardbus is 32-bit) which work with airo_cs.o, netwave-cs.o, ray_cs.o, wavelan_cs.o, or (a very long list) orinoco_cs.o, all of which Steven provides for 2.2.26. Someone suggested Netgear MA401, which I learned uses orinoco_cs.o and is $23-24 used at ebay or elsewhere. (It must be a really good one, since other 11Mbps models which are newer are not selling for about $11 including postage).

What I want to do does not involve a router. I want to go online via a pcmcia wireless card (the one I have may only work in Windows) and then connect a desktop linux computer to it via a cable. I already was able to use linux plugged into a router (at the house of someone with a Mac). That would be a way to use free county-wide wireless service, which we might have in a year or two.

I have not investigated PCI wireless network cards yet. Slow ones might be cheap and plentiful.

I will send you, Sindi, a driver file I just got.
To look at.

As I think Steven said, the BL site has some WLAN drivers?

Thanks,
Sheldon