baslinux - Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:31:20 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

First time I heard of a printer that won't print plain text. I will look
up her Lexmark after I find the model number again.

The latest cheap ones, such as my Lexmark, only have enough intelligence to
accept a proprietary image format and send it on to the ink nozzles. They can
do this at a reasonable speed because USB is faster than the parallel port.
And apparently, most Windows users install drivers before they print anything.

Netpbm should work with anything that does deskjet/laserjet or epson
emulation, to print graphics,

I don't know of any Lexmarks that do deskjet/laserjet.

and I think there is a netpbm program that will convert text to graphics.

Really? Which one? That would be very useful for printing.

David