baslinux - Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:50:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
Do I also insmod lp.o

Only if you want to use a parallel printer. Otherwise, no.

or is printer.o a substitute?

It is the standard USB printer driver.

Could someone with a working USB printer try this?

Mine does not support plain text.

First time I heard of a printer that won't print plain text. I will look up her Lexmark after I find the model number again.

Images can be printed with netpbm's pbmtolj, etc. .

netpbm is compatible with fewer printers than ghostscript, so this
will only work with a few printers. Also, printing plain text (e.g.
with wp) is not supported by all printers.

Netpbm should work with anything that does deskjet/laserjet or epson emulation, to print graphics, and I think there is a netpbm program that will convert text to graphics.

It would be simpler for her to print with Windows and just use linux for internet. She has the CD for Windows ME so presumably also 98. I will not attempt to learn/teach Windows emulation under linux. She can reboot on the rare occasions she needs to print.

Our county recently announced it will provide free wireless internet (at about 85K/sec download) in a year or two, at which point I hope to provide very cheap linux/internet computers to people in subsidized housing. How tricky would it be to set up BL3 to receive a wireless signal with a desktop computer? You need some sort of antenna thing outside the window, I think, and a cable from it to the network card. Or maybe a wireless network card. Would the 'big' kernel with some module be adequate?

(This should probably be a new subject line).

David