baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:29:31 -0400

Hello, Sindi:

I started to reply to your previous messages, but shut my electronic mouth,
since others are much more knowledgeable.

> Ebay does not seem to offer any non-cardus pcmcia ethernet cards,

I'm surprised - I got one, I think of the "b" (lower) speed, in August 2004,
for [not sure; $20?]. It worked fine in my extinct $1 Dell Latitude laptop.
Or maybe it was from some other online dealer.

> tho they do have $5 cardbus 11Mbps models (no bids). Where might I look
> for 16-bit?

What does this mean, 16-bit and 32-bit cards?

By the way: look at
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201
523&pcount=&Product_Id=122691
That's a 802.11b card, like my WaveBuddy (a sort of brand x)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-WPC11-Instant-Wireless-B-Networking-Adapter-
PC_W0QQitemZ320032294734QQihZ011QQcategoryZ42196QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/802-11b-32Bit-wireless-LAN-PCMCIA-Card-NEW-SHIP-
WORLD_W0QQitemZ330034486481QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42196QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OH! To use these wireless PC cards with Linux, one needs the driver (as has
been said)!!

> Is there some way to go online with Win98, network to it with linux,
> and use linux online?

Yes. I have on this computer ("asus") Windows 98SE, which connects to the
Linksys WRT54GL router via an Ethernet cable. From the router's 'Internet'
jack, another Ethernet cable goes to the DSL modem. That is connected to the
phone line, which carries a DSL signal.
(By the way, this computer can also just boot into BL 3.40 or Damn Small
LInux, and connect to the Internet)
[The modem somehow stores my username and password for my ISP]

The other computer ("other"), I can boot into either Windows or Damn Small
Linux (I was re-doing it, and don't have BL on it yet)
It too can do Internet, via its own Ethernet cable to the router.

And so can the laptop, via wireless adapter card to the router.
(Although that has only Windows, since it's for my upstairs neighbor/friend,
who wants to know as little as possible about computer stuff)

(I think there are things which combine the modem and router in one unit -
tidier, but I'm not about to change just for that)

Have been using these things for about 1 month.

Thanks,
Sheldon