baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:06:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Or maybe a wireless network card. Would the 'big'
kernel with some module be adequate?

I've done wireless with the standard BL3 kernel.
You'll find my configuration for that type of
wireless card in /etc/pcmcia/config (in BL3).

Your biggest problem will be to find the right
module (and parameters) for your wireless card.
There are lots of different types of wireless
cards. Hopefully you will find the module for
yours in the collection at the BL3 site.

David Moberg compiled the module for our two PCMCIA wireless cards but I think they are cardbus, and BL3 does not support cardbus, and I am not sure our computer even does.

It is much easier with PCMCIA modem cards (which
all use the serial module) and PCMCIA network
cards (most of which use the pcnet module).
Both of those modules are in BL3.

We have two PCMCIA network cards (16-bit, the 32-bit would not work for me) and lots of PCMCIA modems working in BL3 and BL2.

I am temporarily giving up on the cardbus wireless PCMCIA card and would like to get the other gadget which came in the kit to work with BL. It is a router combined with wireless access point (which I think means it will pick up a signal, amplify it, and then pass it along). Two antennas, four ethernet ports in back plus a fifth with a cable in it which I think plugs into a DSL modem or the equivalent for cable TV (which we do not have). It then passes along the signal to four desktop computers with wired ethernet cards and/or a laptop computer with the wireless card.

The neighbor offered us use of his cable TV broadband connection once he sets up a wireless system in his house, and the county will eventually offer 80K/sec wireless internet free.

Do we put this gadget on the porch nearest the neighbor (the house is lined with aluminum vapor barrier and has a metal roof) and run an ethernet cable into the house for each computer (or maybe one cable to a hub inside the house)? The gadget comes with a CD for Windows - would this install some software to the gadget that would then let it transfer data to linux?

We could also put the gadget in the attic and use the roof as an antenna (run something from the roof to the built-in antenna). We get good radio reception with the radio antenna attached to one particular point in the cupola roof (which is the right size for a radio signal) but this is a much shorter wavelength (2.4 GHz vs radio 90 MHz)

It has a 'Built-in 4-port Ethernet Switch and Wireless Access Point' - does this mean it both receives signals from the outer world (via our choice of cable or antenna) and passes them via ethernet cable (or wireless broadcast) to our computers? Or maybe it only broadcasts and does not receive wireless signals and we need a different gadget (or if the house does not block the signal, some desktop wireless network cards with linux drivers).

Dialup is much simpler.